University of California, Riverside

Earth Sciences

Department of Earth Sciences

Education Abroad



Study Abroad!

The Earth Sciences Department encourages its students to consider participation in the UC Education Abroad Program as part of their studies. UCEAP perfectly complements an undergraduate education in our department by exposing students to aspects of the Earth system not observable in California and presenting the opportunity to take unique courses from world experts. It is your opportunity to broaden your horizons, develop self-confidence, change your world view, build an international network, and boost your experience prior to graduation! Most participants say it is a life-changing experience and the singular highlight of their UCR education.


Can I afford it?

The cost may be comparable to staying at UCR. When you participate in UCEAP you continue to pay your normal UCR tuition and fees. Your UCR financial aid and grants (Cal, Pell, Academic Competitiveness, etc.) will apply. Depending on the program and location you might be able to save up to 25% on tuition and expenses to study abroad through UCEAP. Many scholarships are available exclusively for students studying abroad.

Will I fall behind?

Most students find that going abroad still keeps them on track for graduation. As of 2017 our department has reviewed all program offerings by UCEAP and have identified courses which are well suited to transfer into your major requirements. When you decide on a country and university our advisors work one-on-one with you to select offered courses that will transfer back into your major requirements so that the credits you take count! Because of conversion from semester courses into the UC quarter system it is possible you could complete graduation requirements early.

Where and when should I study abroad?

Since earth science is a diverse field with different emphases all over the world, you have dozens of choices of where to take courses that will broaden your knowledge. Deciding where to go abroad should be a balanced decision taking into consideration language, culture, location, university, specific faculty you might want to interact with, and course offerings. The majority of universities offer instruction in English, but if you have other languages under your belt more options are available. While it is possible for geoscience students to go abroad at almost any point in their academic careers, the particular term and length of time that you choose to study abroad will probably depend on the requirements you have left to complete the major and whether you plan to work towards your major while you are abroad (as opposed to say completing general education requirements).  Keep in mind that applications for study abroad are typically due 6 months to a year prior to the program start date and some programs have academic or language prerequisites that must be satisfied in advance so research and plan early!

OK I’m interested! Now what?

If you think UCEAP could be for you please browse the links and resources on this page to narrow your search, paying particular attention to application deadlines and minimum requirements. Also provided is a list of “pre-approved” programs and courses we have identified as good candidates to transfer into our major. Our department works closely with interested students to see if UCEAP can work with their education goals. Contact the Department Undergraduate Advisor or EAP Liaison listed below to get started.



UCR Study Abroad Prospective Students

UCEAP Frequently Asked Questions

UCEAP Scholarships


UCR Earth Sciences Education Abroad Liaison: Nicolas Barth

UCR Earth Sciences Undergraduate Advisor: Nigel Hughes

UCR Education Abroad Help Desk:


Our Shortlist (many more great options exist!)

University of Bristol (United Kingdom - England)

University of Edinburgh (United Kingdom - Scotland)

University College Dublin (United Kingdom - Ireland)

Australian National University (Australia)

University of Otago (New Zealand)

McGill University (Canada)


Course Transferability

Here is our list of potential course transferability identified to date. Your undergraduate advisor and EAP liaison have a more detailed list that includes course numbers at the host universities. By no means is this list all inclusive so if you have your sights on another university or are concerned about transferability let Nicolas and Nigel know! Use the links to department websites to determine the full list of courses offered when you plan to be abroad. Below is a searchable database of identified course transferability.

Click here to load this Caspio Cloud Database


More Information

General Campus Information

University of California, Riverside
900 University Ave.
Riverside, CA 92521
Tel: (951) 827-1012

UCR LibrariesCampus Status
Career OpportunitiesDiversity
Visit UCRMaps and Directions

Earth Sciences Information

Department of Earth Sciences
Geology Building

Tel: (951) 827-3182
Fax: (951) 827-4324